As a matter of fact, egg shells are probably the best natural source of calcium and are much easier for the body to digest and absorb. Egg shells are healthy and balanced calcium, thanks to the trace amounts of other minerals.
Namely, the calcium found in egg shells is the same calcium which our bones and teeth are made of. Not only is calcium needed for healthy bones, it is needed for the muscles and nerves as well.
As mentioned above, the powder from egg shells is easily absorbed and this is confirmed by several studies conducted in the US National Institutes of Health. In addition, it was found to reduce blood pressure, lower cholesterol levels, and of course, to strengthen the bones.
As little as half a tablespoon of eggs shells powder provides about 90 percent of the recommended daily intake for an adult, as it contains about 1000-1,500 mg calcium.
SIMPLE WAY TO USE THE EGGS SHELLS
- First, boil the eggs for about ten minutes in order to eliminate the detrimental bacteria.
- Let them cool.
- Crush them so that you get a powder.
- Store the powder in a previously sterilized jar.
In order to use this powder as a natural calcium supplement, simply add it in smoothies or cereals. However, its use goes far beyond using it as calcium supplement. Here are a few unusual ways in which you can use egg shells!
- Mix them with an egg white and apply onto the face to restore a youthful glow to your skin
- Mix them with soapy water for a powerful DIY cleaner
- Feed them to your chickens to boost their calcium intake
- Add them to your coffee to reduce bitterness
- Sprinkle them around the garden to repel pests
- Use them as compost to make your garden thrive
- Start some seedlings
- Use them as laundry whitener. For optimal results, use a handful of broken eggshells and two slices of lemon
- Use them as garbage disposal cleaner
- Use the shell’s membrane as an all-natural bandage for cuts, pimples, and splinters
- Use them to make mosaics or mixed-media art projects
- Use comfrey root and fresh egg shell for re-mineralizing your teeth
- Add it to your nail polish to strengthen the nails
- Sprinkle a few teaspoons of the eggshell powder to your pet`s food to treat diarrhea